@ Inhalants and Huffing
@ Principles of Effective Treatment for Substance Abuse and Addiction
@ Bath Salts Abuse
@ Alcoholism and Abuse
@ Behavioral Therapies for Substance Abuse and Addiction Treatment
Featured Rehab Centers
Pembrooke Club Drug Abuse Rehab
Warring Wellness Center For Chemical Dependency
Treatment For Opiate Rehab
Winthrop Drug Abuse Counseling Center
North Shore Treatment Center for Substance Abuse
Cocaine AddictionAddiction Causes: Emotional, Physical, Biological?
Causes Of Adddiction - The Dangers of Meth
Addiction Or Dependence
What is Methamphetamine?
Treatment Centers Promote Recovery for Client and Family
Addiction Reference - Prescription Pill Addiction
From Cocaine Use Into Cocaine Addiction
Signs and Symptoms of Cocaine Abuse
Heroin AddictionNaloxone Spray Available In Du Page County
21 Year Old Woman Fakes Devastating Illness to Fund Her Heroin Habit
Teen Charged in Heroin Overdose Death
Heroin Users Beware
Illegal Heroin Operations in Wealthy Neighborhoods
Heroin Isn't Just an Inner City Problem
Heroin Abuse in the Twin Cities
Serious Health Risk Linked to the Abuse of Painkiller Opana Extended-Release
Meth AddictionMeth Addiction Appears More Difficult to Treat in Teen Girls
St. Charles County Missouri Working to Keep Residents Safe from Meth Contamination
Locating 12 Step Recovery Support For Meth Addiction
Children Hospitalized Recently Due to Meth Exposure
Meth Production and Abuse in Vermont
Meth Fume Inhalation is the Cause of Infant's Death
Crystal Meth is a Primary Drug of Concern in Colorado
Can You Spot A Meth Addict?
Principles of Effective Treatment for Substance Abuse and Addiction
Research is being done all the time always looking for better ways to improve treatment associated with drug abuse and addiction. Since the middle of the 70s research has shown that treatment helps individuals that are addicted to drugs and other substances. Treatment helps patients to stop using drugs, avoid relapse, and patients are able to successfully recover and restore their lives.
In order for this to take place, research tells us that there are important guidelines that have be set in place which form the basis of any effective treatment program. These crucial guidelines or principles include the following:
- Addiction is a complicated but treatable disease that affects the user's behaviors and brain function.
- There is no one particular treatment that's appropriate or suitable for everyone.
- It's necessary that treatment for substance abuse and addiction be readily available.
- Effective treatment has to address all of the individual's needs, as well as their substance use issues.
- The patient needs to be able to remain in treatment for a sufficient period of time, this is critical.
- Various behavioral therapies and individual or group (or both) counseling are the most common methods of treatment for drug abuse.
- Medications are a very important part of treatment for many people suffering from substance abuse issues; this is especially true when medications are combined with counseling and other behavioral therapies.
- An individual's treatment plan has to be evaluated frequently and changed when necessary to make sure that it meets with the patients changing needs.
- Many people that are addicted to drugs have mental disorders as well.
- Medically assisted detox is only the first stage of treatment for addiction because detox alone has little effect when it comes to changing long term drug abuse.
- An individual doesn't have to volunteer for Treatment in order for it to be effective.
- Because relapse does happen, it's important to monitor the patient continuously during treatment.
- Patients in treatment programs should be evaluated for the presence of HIV/AIDS, hepatitis B and C, tuberculosis, and other infectious diseases and also provide patients with targeted risk reduction counseling in order to help them change their behaviors that put them at risk of contracting or spreading infectious diseases.
Reseources & References
|Drug Rehab & Detox Programs by State|
|District Of Columbia